Sickness Certificates

Self-Certification Sick Note for Fewer than 7 Days

If you have been ill for seven days or fewer, you do not need to see a doctor for a sick note. Some employers have their own self-certification forms which they should supply to you. If your employer does not have a certificate the SC2 form issued by the Government can be downloaded at this web address 

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

For more information see the DirectGov website 

How do I request a FIT Note?

  • For a new illness/condition – If you have not spoken to a doctor previously about you medical condition, this would be necessary to do so before having a FIT note issued for the first time. This is so a doctor can assess your condition and also discuss how long you may require you FIT Note to last. They can also offer any help or support you may require regarding treatment of your condition or illness.

  • An extension to an existing FIT Note – If you are requesting that a FIT Note that has already been supplied to you by a doctor be extended, it is not always necessary to speak to your GP. You can phone main reception, who will send a message to your GP to see if further consultation is required. Alternatively you can now fill in an e-consult request for a FIT Note extension, the link for e-consults is on the home page of this website.


If employees are self-isolating and cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19) they can get an ‘isolation note’ online from NHS 111. They do not have to go to their GP or a hospital.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website